NR 503 Population Health Epidemiology & Statistical Principles Entire Course Week 1 – 8
NR 503 Week 1 Discussion: Exercise and Discussion Questions from Curley Text Book
Go to the end of Chapter 2: Identifying Outcomes, in your Curley course text. Under “Exercises and Discussion Questions” select Exercise 2.5 OR 2.6 and respond in a minimum of two (2) paragraphs of 4-5 sentences each. You should address each bullet point in the exercise you select. Your work should have in-text citations integrating at a minimum one scholarly article from this week’s readings and course textbook. APA format should … utilized to include a reference list. Correct grammar, spelling, and APA should … adhered to when writing, work should be scholarly without personalization or first person use.
Exercise 2.5 Diabetes affects a growing number of Americans. You have been invited to join a collaborative of community agencies … in tackling diabetes from a community perspective.
- What resources will you use to identify different outcomes related to diabetes?
- What outcomes related to diabetes are of most interest to community members?
- How will you compare the outcomes you select to monitor at the local level with state and national outcomes?
Exercise 2.6 APRNs should not only recognize but also make it part of their practice to develop strategies to reduce or eliminate health disparities. Review information from Healthy People 2020 and the CDC Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities websites.
- What health disparities can you find that are relevant to your community?
- How can you better advocate for minority groups who have poorer health outcomes?
- What specific objectives in Healthy People 2020 can help this effort?
- Respond to exercise post of two peers. Faculty posts are in addition to the two peer posts.
NR 503 Week 2 Assignment: Healthy People 2020 Impact Paper
Topics: All Topic Included in Download
* Health Effects of Smoking Hookah in Florida
* Obesity 2020
The concepts of epidemiology provide the framework for the study of infectious and chronic diseases, which provides a rich source of data for the analysis of trends in disease and health. This assignment will offer the opportunity to explore the health effects associated with hookahs. You will identify populations at risk, and to design an educational intervention for your target population. In addition you will look at what outcomes will be addressed to determine if your interventions work. You will integrate HP2020 and CDC information into your paper.
Research the health effects of hookahs and select three to five health effects to address. Identify your target population (for instance, age or other demographic, aggregate population); this must be in your city or state. Design a population based health education intervention for your target population that is aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality for the problem. Be sure to review the research literature and HP2020 for interventions. Decide what outcomes you will use to determine whether your educational intervention works. In a three (3) page summary, address the following.
- Identify the problem in the introduction section.
- Provide an overview of the problem in your city/state
- Review of descriptive epidemiologic and demographic data on mortality/morbidity and risk
- Present the goal, overview and objectives of Healthy People 2020 for the paper topic. Also, include an overview of the national snapshot by HP2020.
- Create a population focused intervention that includes activities and implementation strategies. Use of scholarly literature and HP2020 is recommended for writing the Intervention Program Plan.
Preparing the Paper
- Application: Use Microsoft Word 2013™ to create the written assessment.
- Length: The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) is a maximum three (3) pages.
- A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must … used. You may use your course textbook as one reference but this does not count to the three (3) scholarly literature references. References should include scholarly publications and not … limited to scholarly web sites.
- APA Format (6th ed.).
NR 503 Week 2 Discussion: Epidemiological Methods – MRSA
Consider one of the following disease processes:
- MRSA → Selected Disease
- Clostridioides difficile
- Depression (Choose population:Adult, Older Adult, Adolescent)
- Attention Deficit Disorder
Next, choose a diagnostic or screening method. You may use one of the following web sites to locate a screening tool, a scholarly article, or a tool from a professional web site of your choice (for example, from the American Psychological Association).: U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (Links to an external site.)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
SAMHSA-HRSA (Links to an external site.).
Reply to the following prompt: Describe the diagnostic or screening tool selected, its purpose, and what age group it targets. Has it been specifically tested in this age group?
Next, discuss the predictive ability of the test. For instance, how do you know the test is reliable and valid? What are the reliability and validity values? What are the predictive values? Is it sensitive to measure what it has been developed to measure, for instance, HIV, or depression in older adults, or Lyme Disease? Would you integrate this tool into your advanced practice based on the information you have read about the test, why or why not?
Need assistance? Click here for the Week 2 FAQ document that discusses these terms.
You should include a minimum of two (2) scholarly articles from the last five (5) years (3 is recommended). Respond to a minimum of two (2) individuals, peer and/or faculty, with a scholarly and reflective post of a minimum of two (2) paragraphs of 4-5 sentences. A minimum of one (1) scholarly article should … utilized to support the post in addition to your textbook.
Your work should have in-text citations integrating at a minimum one scholarly article and the course textbook. APA format should … utilized to include a reference list. Correct grammar, spelling, and APA should … adhered to when writing, work should … scholarly without personalization or first person use.
NR 503 Week 3 Discussion: Chronic Health and Occupational Health Articles
Utilizing the list below, choose two research methods.
1. Next, find two articles, one on each of the chosen methods, from the Chamberlain College library, or you may use one that is provided within the course and one you find from the library. The articles should … related to population health and infectious disease, chronic health, occupational health, global health, genomics, or environmental health:
- Randomized Control Trial
- Cohort Study
- Case-Control Study
2. Read each article and answer the following questions for each article:
- Does the study design specify a question, goal, of the study?
- Explain the methodology (Randomized Control Trial, Cohort Study, Case-Control Study).
- Describe the participant information, include recruitment. Is selection bias present?
- How is data collected?
- Are the variables … ? If yes, discuss. If no, how does this impact your interpretation of the study?
- How was the data analyzed, what statistics are provided? What are potential errors … to the study design?
- What are the weaknesses of the type of study design/method?
- Discuss the outcomes and the implications for implementation.
3. Post your analysis of the research studies to the DB. Your analysis should have in-text citations and utilize a scholarly voice with APA formatting. You may choose to write a Word doc and upload your doc to the discussion board for this week.
4. Respond to a total of two posts; either two (2) peer posts or a peer and faculty post, with a minimum of one paragraph of 4-5 sentences for each of their articles. Your reply post should integrate in-text citation(s) and … formatted with APA and a scholarly voice.
NR 503 Week 4 Midterm Study Material (Collection)
NR 503 Week 4 Midterm Study Guide (Questions – Answer)
NR-503 Week 4 Midterm Study Guide (Epidemiology)
NR 503 Week 4 Midterm Study Guide (Review & Guide)
NR 503 Week 4 Midterm Review Question (Chapter 1-20)
NR-503 Week 4 Midterm Study Guide (Related Definitions)
NR 503 Week 4 Open Forum Discussion
You can use this time to have a non-structured conversation about the website exploration links below. Provide one fact or element from the website exploration that applies to the topics from the first four modules:
Web Site Exploration:
NR 503 Week 5 Assignment: Infectious Disease Paper (Multiple Versions)
Infectious disease occurs worldwide and must be addressed just as chronic disease is approached. This assignment will offer the opportunity to explore the various communicable diseases, the epidemiological background data as well as the implications of these infections.
Criteria for ContentApply the concepts of epidemiology to a communicable disease. Choose one communicable disease from the following list:
- Clostridioides difficile infection
- Meningitis (Included in Download)
- Lyme Disease
- Borellia Burgdorferi
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Chickenpox (Included in Download)
- Tuberculosis (Included in Download)
- Influenza (Included in Download)
- Hepatitis B (Included in Download)
- Chlamydia (Included in Download)
- Measles (Included in Download)
Include the following in your assignment:
- Description of the communicable disease (causes, symptoms, mode of transmission, complications, treatment) and the demographic of interest (mortality, morbidity, incidence, and prevalence).
- Synthesize the determinants of health as related to the development of this disease.
- Identify and describe the host factors, agent factors (presence or absence), and environmental factors.
- Synthesize the role of the primary care FNP to the management of infectious diseases (case finding, reporting, data collecting, data analysis, and follow-up).
- A minimum of three scholarly references, research articles, is required. Web sites may be utilized but do not count towards the three scholarly references. Your course text maybe utilized but does not count towards the three scholarly references.
NR 503 Week 5 Open Forum Discussion
All students are required to make one post. You are not required to provide reply posts.
You can use this time to have a non-structured conversation from the Podcast and website links below. Provide one fact or element from the website exploration that applies to this module’s topic of populations as risk. Everyone should review the AETCMC Self-Assessment link:.
Web Site Links:
Important self-assessment: Self-assessment (culture and attitudes) (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
NR 503 Week 6 Assignment: Epidemiological Analysis: Chronic Health Problem (Collection All 5 Topics)
This paper should clearly and comprehensively identify the chronic health disease chosen. Select a topic from the following list: (All 5 topics available in this product’s download and also to download individually, just click blue hyperlink).
- Alcoholism or Opioids(Choose Addiction)
- Lupus Disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
NR 503 Week 6 Assignment: Epidemiological Analysis: Chronic Health Problem – Personality Disorder
NR 503 Week 6 Assignment: Epidemiological Analysis: Chronic Health Problem – Lupus Disease
NR 503 Week 6 Assignment: Epidemiological Analysis: Chronic Health Problem – Evaluation of Rheumatoid Arthritis
NR 503 Week 6 Open Forum Discussion
All students are … to make one post. You are not … to provide reply posts.
You can use this time to have an unstructured conversation about genetics, current population health news or other course related topics of interest.
NR 503 Week 7 Bundle: Reflection plus Discussion
NR 503 Week 7 Reflection on Achievement of Outcomes Concept Map
Create a Concept Map that Connects Assignments to the Specified Objectives (See assignment narrative in the course.)
NR 503 Week 7 Discussion: Global and Environmental Health
NR 503 Week 7 Discussion: Global and Environmental Health – Measles Outbreaks Globally
Please go to a lay press newspaper, for example, The Washington Post, The New York Times, or other national publication. Locate an article that has global health implications, such as malaria, untreated strep throat or other infectious diseases in developing countries. Other topic areas may address environmental global health issues, for example, safe water, sanitation, or oral health. After you locate and read over the article respond to the following prompt:
During NR503 the Web of Causation, Epidemiological Triangle, Population Health and inter-professional collaboration … discussed, as well as other population health topics.
Respond to your chosen article in this week’s discussion board by synthesizing, integrating, course concepts. Compare and contrast the article you chose to course concepts and this week’s objectives. For example, consider the World Health Organization and its SDG’s or you may choose to write about social justice theory and its relationship to your article.You may consider the WHO and SDG’s or perhaps you may choose to write about social justice and its relationship to this article. The specific focus is up to you, just be sure to integrate, compare/contrast, and think/write critically.
Your post should be a minimum of two paragraphs with 4-5 sentences per paragraph. Your initial post should include a minimum of two (2) scholarly articles which would not include your course text, which is also permitted to … Reply posts should include a scholarly reference and be a minimum of one paragraph, 4-5 sentences. A scholarly tone should … maintained. Include the reference to the article using APA and link if available.
NR 503 Week 8 Discussion: Health Policy and Ethics – Maryland
- Go to your state government web page.
- Find one health policy enacted within the last two (2) years at the state level. Write down the bill number and the sponsors of the bill and include this information in your initial post.
- Write a minimum of a one-page critical analysis summary of the policy. (250 words double spaced, APA). Your summary should integrate the concepts of advocacy, population health, and the ANA ethical statements(“The Code”), and course readings, to include a minimum of one course scholarly article (provided within the course). Be sure to speak to the role of advocacy and population health.
- Respond to a minimum of two (2) peers/faculty posts with one (1) paragraph of 4-5 sentences integrating one scholarly source utilized in an in-text citation/APA
NR 503 Week 8 Final Exam Study Guide-Notes (Collection)
NR 503 Week 8 Final Exam Study Guide & Notes (Spring 2020)
Week 5: At the end of this week, answer/discuss the following:
- How does culture influence the decisions a provider may make when selecting an intervention?
- Explain how culture impacts provider attitudes? Does it? How will you assess your own attitudes about various cultures/races/groups?
- Review the terms for this week and apply them to population health; for instance: cultural competence, cultural awareness, norms, values, Kleinman Explanatory Model, socioeconomic status, disparities, minorities, food dessert.
- What are the social determinants of health? How does a provider integrate knowledge of these social determinants of health into their practice? Why are they important?
- Apply social justice theory to the provision of care; what does social justice mean when applied to health care?
- What data sources are used to assess determinants of health?
- Discriminate populations at risk for development of chronic health
conditions while associating the role of the Advanced Practice Nurse in
levels of promotion.
- Compare and contrast variables that differentiate those categorized at
being at risk for marginalization of health care.
Week 6: At the end of this week, answer/discuss the following:
- Integrate risk / screening as it applies to genetics? How, what methods are used to screen for health conditions that may have genetic connections? What guidelines support evidence-based decision making in the area of genetics?
- What is genetic risk assessment? How is it determined?
- Explore and integrate genetic terminology, for example: Genomics, pharmacogenomics, genetic epidemiology. Also, refer to HP2020.
- What are the components of a genetic risk assessment?
- Can you discuss the interplay (connection) between genetics and the environment, how do they influence one another? Do they?
- What is the Genetics Nondiscrimination Act?
Week 7: At the end of this week, answer/discuss the following:
- Can you discuss the types of outbreaks at a population health level?
- How is the epidemiological triangle related to pandemics, outbreaks?
- If you were to explain “disaster epidemiology” to a colleague or nursing student, what would you say?
- What is the WHO? What do the SDG’s (formerly MDG’S) mean?
- Connect social justice theory to the implications of outbreaks.
- What is the history of the World Health Organization?
- Be sure to review the articles: Angelini (2017) and Kurth (2017): What are said to be some of the noticed health effects of climate change? Can you speak to the “Call to Action” elements/content?
- How do you assess an area’s resources and its relationship to the health of a region?
- What is a pandemic and what does the severity index tell us about deaths?
- A Pandemic is a global epidemic that spreads to more than one continent.
- How does the WHO organize the 6 phases of a pandemic? The World Health Organization defines a pandemic as a global epidemic that spreads to more than one continent. There are six phases with 1 to 3 relating directly to preparedness and phases 4 to 6 dealing with response and mitigation efforts.
Week 8: At the end of this week, answer/discuss the following:
- How do ethics and public policy intersect?
- What influence do you as a provider have regarding public policy? What ethical obligation do you believe you have?
- How is risk reduction, assessment, and outcomes related to public health policy?
- Where is the intersection of: epidemiology, population health, public policy and social justice and vulnerable populations?
- Are you able to define the key ethical terms and apply them to population health? For instance, ethics, fairness and social justice.
NR 503 Week 8 Final Exam Study Guide & Notes (Fall 2019)
NR 503 Week 8 Final Exam Study Guide & Notes (Summer 2019)
NR 503 Week 8 Final Exam Related Definitions (View Here Below)
NR 503 Final Exam Related Definitions
- Objectives of epidemiology
- Define, compare, calculate, and interpret Measures of Morbidity
- Understand why incidence data are important for measuring risk.
- Define, compare, calculate, and interpret Measures of Mortality
- Assess the Validity and Reliability of Diagnostic and Screening Tests
- Epidemiologic transition
- Study designs (case-control, cross sectional, prospective and retrospective cohort, clinical trial)
- Causal Inferences
- Identify causal association verses confounding in case control and cohort study designs.
- Understand the guidelines for determining if an observed association is causal (Bradford-Hill criterion)
- Estimating Risks (risk measures)
- Attributable Risk
- Randomized trials
- Evaluating Screening Programs
- Considerations when evaluating individual data
- Calculations and interpretations
Is this the question you were looking for? If so, place your order here to get started!