Chapter 8 Wind and Weather
1. Convert the following wind speeds, using the equivalents as 1 knot = 1.15 mph = 0.51 m/s. (Round answers to the nearest whole number):
30 statute mph = __________ knots 10 m per second = __________statute mph 55 knots = __________statute mph
2. Based on the standard atmosphere (Table 5.2 of your Weather Studies textbook), compute the vertical pressure gradient in mb per km between sea-level and an altitude of 3 km. Answer: _________ mb per km. The vertical pressure gradient is [(greater than) (about the same as) (less than)] a typical horizontal pressure gradient displayed on a surface weather map.
3. If the horizontal air pressure gradient increases, the wind speed will [(increase) (not change) (decrease)] and the magnitude of the Coriolis Effect will [(increase) (not change) (decrease)].
4. The magnitude of the Coriolis Effect is greatest at [(5) (35) (90)] degrees latitude.
5. In a typical extra-tropical cyclone, the vertical motion of air is typically only 1% to 10% of the horizontal wind speed. If the horizontal wind is blowing at 20 km per hour, what is a reasonable value for the vertical air motion in a cyclone? [(0.2-2.0 km per hr) (2-20 km per hr) (20-200 km per hr)]
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT
Is this the question you were looking for? If so, place your order here to get started!