Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
Are you familiar with Walden University’s vision and mission? Were they a factor in selecting this University? How do they relate to your professional and academic goals? Does it matter if there is a tight or loose relationship or one at all? This week’s Discussion asks you to think about how the Walden mission and vision and the School of Nursing (SON) mission and vision apply to your professional and academic goals. Is there a match? How does Walden’s mission and vision relate to your becoming a scholar-practitioner committed to social change? Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
Review the Walden and SON mission and vision statements, Walden’s goals and University Outcomes, and the MSN Program Learning Outcomes presented in this week’s Learning Resources.
Reflect on your professional and academic goals as they relate to your program/specialization.
Consider how the information in the documents, identified above, fit with your own goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
Think about how you will incorporate your commitment to social change into your professional and academic goals, particularly as it relates to the area(s) of interest represented by your program/specialization.
Post a description of one or more significant ways in which Walden’s and the School of Nursing’s perspectives (i.e., vision, mission, social change message, and outcomes) relate to your professional and academic goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner. Include how you plan to incorporate social change into your professional and academic goals.
Support your Discussion assignment with specific resources used in its preparation using APA formatting. You are asked to provide a reference for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
About Walden University
Walden University is an accredited institution that for more than 45 years has provided an engaging learning experience for working professionals. Our mission of producing scholar-practitioners has attracted a community of extraordinary students and faculty, all sharing a common desire to make a positive social impact—to make a difference. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
Highlights of Walden’s commitment include:
· Diverse and comprehensive core curriculum: Walden University provides students the intellectual foundation necessary to see the interrelationships among the central ideas and means of expression that are specific to the disciplines. This foundation supplies a context for knowledge and makes possible the cross-fertilization of ideas to enhance creativity, innovation, and problem-solving.
· Student-centeredness: Our faculty and staff are devoted to helping students balance their education with their personal and professional lives. Walden’s library, tutoring, and other student services also provide essential resources.Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
· Real-world application: Degree programs are developed by scholar-practitioners who continually assess courses to make sure they are current and relevant.
· International perspectives: Walden University is part of the Laureate International Universities global network of more than 80 accredited campus-based and online universities in 28 countries, serving more than 1,000,000 students around the world. Students in the Laureate International Universities network have an unprecedented opportunity to expand their international outlook and gain insights that they can apply directly to their professions. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
· Positive social change: We believe that knowledge is most valuable when put to use for the greater good. Students, alumni, and faculty are committed to improving the human and social condition by creating and applying ideas to promote the development of individuals, communities, and organizations, as well as society as a whole.
· Scholar-practitioner model: Our goal is to help students become scholar-practitioners by challenging them to integrate scholarly research with their own expertise as skilled practitioners in their fields.
|Vision, Mission, and Goals|
|Return to: Introduction
Walden University envisions a distinctively different 21st-century learning community where knowledge is judged worthy to the degree that it can be applied by its graduates to the immediate solutions of critical societal challenges, thereby advancing the greater global good. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
Walden University provides a diverse community of career professionals with the opportunity to transform themselves as scholar-practitioners so that they can effect positive social change.
· To provide multicontextual educational opportunities for career learners.
· To provide innovative, learner-centered educational programs that recognize and incorporate the knowledge, skills, and abilities students bring into their academic programs.
· To provide its programs through diverse process-learning approaches, all resulting in outcomes of quality and integrity.
· To provide an inquiry/action model of education that fosters research, discovery, and critical thinking and that results in professional excellence. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
· To produce graduates who are scholarly, reflective practitioners and agents of positive social change.
Walden University defines positive social change as a deliberate process of creating and applying ideas, strategies, and actions to promote the worth, dignity, and development of individuals, communities, organizations, institutions, cultures, and societies. Positive social change results in the improvement of human and social conditions.
This definition of positive social change provides an intellectually comprehensive and socially constructive foundation for the programs, research, professional activities, and products created by the Walden academic community.
In addition, Walden supports positive social change through the development of principled, knowledgeable, and ethical scholar-practitioners, who are and will become civic and professional role models by advancing the betterment of society.
Walden University strives to produce graduates with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to:
1. Facilitate positive social change where they work, in their communities, and in society.
2. Use their knowledge to positively impact their profession, communities, and society.
3. Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
4. Apply their learning to specific problems and challenges in their workplace and professional settings.
5. Demonstrate information literacy.* *Information literacy is defined as the ability to know when there is a need for information, and being able to identify, locate, evaluate, and effectively use that information for the issue or problem at hand.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the methods of inquiry used in their professional or academic field.
7. Practice legal and ethical integrity in their professional work.
8. Effectively communicate their ideas and the rationale behind them to others.
9. Support diversity and multiculturalism within their profession, communities, and society.
Quality • Integrity • Student-Centeredness
Three values—quality, integrity, and student-centeredness—are the core of the university and the touchstones for action at all levels of the organization. They demand high standards of excellence, uncompromising openness and honesty, and primary attention to the progress of our students. These values and principles give Walden University its unique identity and underpin the Walden University mission. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
· Walden University believes that quality and integrity are the cornerstones of all academic processes.
· Walden University believes in innovation and flexibility in the conception and delivery of its educational programs, and that there are many different academic routes to achieve quality and integrity. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden
SAMPLE POST: Use this as a guide for writing and formatting posts INITIAL POST My Goals and Walden University Vision and Mission As a nurse for over 10 years and with the advances in technology applied to the health care arena, I have become more interested in the role of a nurse within informatics. My professional goal is to work full-time in the area of nursing informatics. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden. Unfortunately, I knew that obtain this position, I needed to advance my degree. I began looking into various colleges and universities that can provide me with the education needed to obtain an advanced degree with a focus in nursing informatics. After several months of investigating, I located Walden University. At first, I was drawn to Walden because it offered the flexibility that I needed. However, as I investigated the university further, Walden’s mission and vision statement resonated with me. I knew I had made the right choice. The School of Nursing (SON) vision and mission statements described what I felt and thought yet could not put into words. According to the Walden University SON (2011a), their vision is for graduates to transform nursing to meet the needs of communities. Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden. Technology is transforming health care and the degree I will obtain at Walden will help me to assist my organization with this transformation. Another reason I was drawn to Walden University was the high standards they have for all students. The SON stated in their mission that their program is “academically rigorous…contextually relevant…” (Walden University, 2011a, para. 4). This statement matches my academic goal. I am not looking for just a piece of paper at the end, I am looking to gain the necessary knowledge that I need to make an impact within my organization. Incorporation of Social Change Walden University (2011b) defined positive social change as a “deliberate process of creating and applying ideas, strategies, and actions to promote the worth, dignity, and development of individuals, communities, organizations, institutions, cultures, and societies” (para. 4). Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden. I have always had a feeling that I want my life to mean something and to have an effect on those around me whether it is directly or indirectly. As a nurse, the will to help others is a core foundation of why I got into nursing in the first place. I plan to incorporate social change with the knowledge gained at Walden University by “putting that knowledge into practice” (Walden University, 2010b, para. 3). I plan to contribute to my field when I graduate by helping lead my coworkers and my organization through the computerized changes and advancement of technology at work. While helping others, I will be part of the clinical informatics team as the team transitions the organization into new computerized programs. References Walden University. (2011a). About the school. Retrieved from
http://www.waldenu.edu/Colleges-and-Schools/College-of-Health-Sciences/15863.htm Walden University. (2011b). Vision, mission, and goals. Retrieved from
Discussion: Mission, Vision, and Personal Goals-Walden